Automating your API tests
With APIs playing a critical role in modern software systems and architectures, knowing how to test and automate at the API level is an essential skill for you as a tester.
This workshop covers, among other things:
- Discovering opportunities for testing at the API level
- Deciding where (not) to apply automation at the API level
- Writing readable and powerful tests API tests
- Parameterizing your tests for increased flexibility and coverage
- Working with JSON- and XML-based RESTful APIs
- Increasing maintainability by removing duplicate code and configuration
- Creating more complex API test scenarios
- (De-)serializing objects to create requests and verify responses
There’s no better way to learn than by doing, so you’ll be presented with a variety of hands-on (programming) exercises throughout this workshop.
Intended audience and prerequisite knowledge
This workshop is aimed at testing practitioners that want to learn more about writing automation at the API level, why this is such a good idea and how open source API testing libraries can help you provide for your API automation needs.
Some previous exposure to object-oriented software development and test automation will make it easier for you to follow along, but participants new to these concepts will get a lot from this workshop as well.
Delivery and group size
This workshop is a great fit both for an on site or an online in house training session, as well as a half or full day conference tutorial. I recommend a maximum group size of around 15 people.
This workshop typically takes 3-4 hours, but can be extended to a full-day tutorial.
If you would like to book me to teach this workshop in your organization or at your conference, or if you have any additional questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact form on this page.
For an overview of all training courses and workshops I have on offer, please visit the main training page.